- 1¼ cups (220g) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (185ml) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2½ cups grated carrot (about 5 carrots)
- ½ cup (60g) chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (80g) sultanas
- 115g butter, softened
- 250g icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- 50ml sour cream
Place the sugar and oil in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 2–3 minutes.
Add the eggs gradually and beat well.
Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and ginger over the sugar mixture. Add the carrot, walnuts and sultanas and mix until just combined.
Pour into a greased 22cm-round cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 55–60 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
Cool in tin.
For the sour cream frosting, beat butter and icing sugar in a mixer til smooth, then add sour cream.
Spread on cooled cupcakes.
Makes about 12 cupcakes.