> m.e: Muesli & Sultana Bars

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Muesli & Sultana Bars

Any mums out there will understand the need to provide good nutritional snacks for the little ones and obviously for them to like what we make for them.

We don't buy any prepackaged snacks as we enjoy baking yummy things from scratch and that way the kids get to be involved in the process and they see what goes into what they are eating.
As a parent I feel a little better about what they consume and about not buying unnecessary prepackaged goods.

This recipe is good for their lunchbox and is a good snack for adults as well.

Muesli & Sultana Bars
Ingredients
  • 3 cups Rolled Oats
  • 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour, sifted
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 cup (160g) sultanas
  • 1/2 cup (180g) honey
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
Method
  • Preheat oven to 160 degrees C (320 F). Place dry ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine
  • Place honey into a saucepan over medium heat and cook until runny, just a couple of minutes. Mix in the vegetable oil
  • Add the honey mixture to dry ingredients and mix to combine
  • Spoon into a greased 20x30cm tin and flatten with a spoon. Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly and cut into 16 pieces
Guess what we are having at kinder tomorrow!

Pin It

15 comments:

Tania said...

I confess I'm feeling a little jaded over school lunch boxes again. We don't do the pre-packaged thing either - and it gets tricky competing with all the stuff that appears in other kid's lunchboxes. Couldn't you please, please, please just write a kid lunchbox cookbook/checklist?Then you'll have me organised.

Nikki Cardigan said...

Thanks Cathie... I think I love you!!

(he he he he)

One Flew Over said...

These will be a great little treat stored in the handbag ;)

Liss said...

You know what Cathie - that recipe would fit in PERFECTLY to the fortnightly waste-not-want-not challenge in my blog at the moment! You should post it over!!

Nicky said...

Hey Cathie - This would be great for Zara, if I could substitute the sugar for something else? (She cannot have anymore than 1.2g sugar per serving - Bah)

Kate said...

It is soooooooo hard to compete with the packaged chips and crap that other kids get in their lunchboxes, but these sound yum! Can I use the same rolled oats as we have in our porridge in the morning?

i cant sew said...

thanks for visiting one of my blogs (icanstsewcreations) and thanks for that muslie bar recipe. my husband got a pen and paper ready to copy down fast ed off better homes and gardens and he gave up after the first two ingredients! your is so easy and as i have just bought two boxes of oats (on sale)i will have to make this on my days off :)
i will be back
%*_*% rosey
p.s. how do you make that heart when you type?

Sandrine said...

Thanks so much Cathie...LOVE it and will surely make some for the girls lunch box...If anyone want to substitute sugar you could try agave syrup...not sure if it is ok for diabeties?

SweetThings said...

Definitely great for adults too! Thanks for sharing! As always, lovely pics.

Alicia said...

These look sooo good!! i love making bars/squares. and these are definitely healthy and look worth trying =) thanks for posting!

Megan@Feasting on Art said...

what a wonderful and healthy way to feed your children! they look delicious

stephchows said...

Home made snacks are 100 times better than store bought! I'm so excited you stopped by my page so I could link back to you! I'm loving your blog!! Can't wait to check out the archives :)

art and lemons said...

These sound tasty and healthy!

Gab* said...

I'm a bit slow on the uptake with this post but these sound great! I don't even have kids, but I'd eat them!

Kiki said...

Lovely! I've just made these for my lunchboxes tomorrow. I'm glad I found you via Pip's (Meet Me At Mides) blog. I too love being in the kitchen.