> m.e: Vanilla Cupcakes

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Vanilla Cupcakes

I ♥ doing markets as I get to do something I love doing, spend time with my family and meet alot of lovely people along the way.
On such an occasion, I met a lovely lady who wanted some cupcakes for her daughter's 18th and happened to stumble upon our stall and our cupcakes.
The request was for Vanilla Cupcakes with Cream Cheese/Sour Cream Icing so I wanted to share the recipe with you.

The birthday girl also wanted some black hearts which were made out of fondant, which was coloured black and cut out.


Vanilla Cupcakes
(makes about 24)
Ingredients
  • 250g butter, softened
  • 250g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
  • 290g plain flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cup (185ml) milk
Cream Cheese/Sour Cream Icing
  • 115g butter, softened
  • 250g icing sugar mixture (adjust depending on how thick you want the icing)
  • 50ml sour cream
  • 50g cream cheese

Method

  • Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a muffin pan with 24 patty cases
  • Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla bean paste with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Add the flour and milk in alternate batches and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
  • Spoon the mixture evenly among the patty cases
  • Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden and tested with a skewer. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completelyFor the icing, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy then add cream cheese, beat well then add sour cream. Depending on thickness of icing you may need to add some more icing mixture. Pipe icing onto cupcakes and enjoy!
Pin It

20 comments:

Baker's Cakes said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing! I am going to have to try and convert everything to it's equivalents :))) I can't wait to try the frosting!!! Who knows what I might come up with!!! I love the picture of your little one with the frosting, it's one I'm very familiar with!

Victoria said...

what tip did you use to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes? it turned out gorgeous! any tips on getting them to look that way?

Sandrine said...

Wow Cathie...Your cup cakes are so beautiful, this lady must be sooo glad she met you at the market!I see you have a very cute little helper with you the business is in good hands ;))

One Flew Over said...

Oh Cathie! these looks delicious! That icing is so vibrant.

oneordinaryday said...

Love the vibrant color of the frosting. Nice job!

SweetThings said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love the cupcakes that your little helper made - she's adorable!

Leonie Guld said...

every time I look at your blog I end up salivating....

JasperBoy said...

Yummo!! How do I get an invite to that party??

Jen in Melbourne

daylesford organics said...

Wow Cathie, they are the coolest looking cupcakes I have ever seen. Perfect for an eighteenth. She must have been so happy with them. As usual your photos are gorgeous as is your sous chef. XX

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Cathie they look absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to try the recipe as soon as my ovens electricity gets connected! I love the purple and black together too! yum! oh and wish I was 18 again!

faithhopeandawholelottalove said...

Oh yummo!! I will come and see you at a market one of these days & taste your delights! :)

Lyn said...

eeekkk! these look delicious!
yum yum :D

Flickettysplits said...

That violet icing, how amazing! Please say you'll have some of these at Made N Thornbury!

Megs said...

wow, who would have thought a purple cupcake could look so appealing, but that just looks so delicious! But then again Cathie everything on your blog looks amazing! Wish I lived in Melbourne!

Monica @ bpab said...

Cathie they look fantastic! Thanks for the recipe... the girls loove cupcakes. Will have to make it to the Farmer's Market for a taste test!! x

Nicky said...

Oh WOW! The purple is so beautiful!!!

m.e (Cathie) said...

Baker's Cakes - I will try for equivalants next time, I also don't understand 1 cup of butter etc but I love google! t tells me everything :)
Victoria - I think it's an 11mm star tip, just pipe from the outside in and I like to leave the frosting whipping for a while till it's really fluffy

m.e (Cathie) said...

oops..forgot to say THANK you all very much for your beautiful comments! I had no idea a purple cup cake would make such an impact!! ♥

Judith Tetley said...

Hi Cathie; a friend told me about your blog and it is a joy to read about your cooking and life. I love the purple Cupcakes and will make some for my group of craft ladies when we meet in a fortnight....I'm thinking a nice white chocolate heart or star will be a nice replacement for the black 18th..... am sure they will go down well. Thankyou for sharing!
Kind Regards
Judith
http://creativestudio10.blogspot.com

moar said...

The ingredients don't mention eggs let alone how many.

The picture has 3 eggs. I'm going to assume 3.