> m.e: I ♥ Red Velvet Cupcakes

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I ♥ Red Velvet Cupcakes

I have seen these wonderful red cupcakes pop up in different places over the internet so I definitely HAD to try them.We made some for our neighbour as a thank you for helping us out and also used the same recipe for the little man's birthday cake.  
A few tips, these cupcakes do tend to rise a bit...as I found out, so don't fill your cupcake papers too high, maybe 2/3 full. I didn't add cocoa but I think I will next time.
I also didn't have any buttermilk on hand so I just made my own which is 1 tablespoon of vinegar in a cup and then fill up to 1 cup with milk, set aside for about 10 minutes at room temperature and that's your buttermilk.

Red Velvet Cupcakes  

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups self- rising flour, sifted
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons red food colour
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons white vinegar

  • Preheat oven to 180/350. Line cupcake tins

  • In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking soda. Set aside

  • Combine sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix on low speed just until flour has been incorporated. Slowly add buttermilk. Add food colouring, and beat to combine  
  • Divide batter amongst cupcake tins, remember, only about 2/3 full. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes  
  • When completely cooled, ice with cream cheese frosting.

Ingredients

  • 150g butter, room temperature
  • 250g cream cheese, room temperature
  • 3 cups icing mixture, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

method


  • Beat butter and cream cheese until well combined. Add vanilla and sift in 1 cup of icing mixture and beat until combined. Then sift in the remaining sugar and mix until smooth and thick, about 8 minutes.

enjoy ♥
Pin It

22 comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Red velvet cupcakes are my absolute favourite - and with the cocoa - oh my! A stand of these was my 'cake' at my 40th birthday party and they now have an extra-special place in my heart. I found that red colour paste was required to still get a gorgeous red hue once the cocoa is added.

Mmmmmm, loving your pics!

Catherine said...

These cupcakes look so beautiful. Thanks for the recipe I might have to try this recipe I'm sure my girls will enjoy these.

Baker's Cakes said...

Red Velvet Cake is a classic Southern (US) treat! I personally don't think the cocoa powder adds a thing to the flavor, but I do suppose it deepens the color... But the color doesn't add to the flavor either! I love your red cupcake cups, they look great with the red cupcakes! And- everything is better with cream cheese icing on it!

Nicky said...

This will be added to my RSPCA Cupcake drive recipe list :)

Your blog always makes me hungry!

Liss said...

I'm SO making these (in the kitchenaid of course!! :P ) thanks for posting and the tips!!

Nicole said...

They look awesome!! I always thought there was meant to be some other kind ot taste to them, but its just basically a vanilla cupcake that is red :P I really want to try these. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Leonie Guld said...

Oooh you have to stop doing this to me.....every time I jump on about 10ish in the morning, I want to go and empty the PANTRY!! God how good to they look!!!!! So whens the book coming out? hint hint

daylesford organics said...

That buttermilk trick is ace!! The lack of that ingredient always stops me in my tracks. Thanks heaps. XX

One Flew Over said...

I have just died and gone to cupcake heaven!

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

They look DELICIOUS!! I have heard so much about red velvet cake, I can't wait to try it one day!

Auntie Em said...

Oh, Words cannot describe how much I want to eat those beautiful cupcakes of yours. I have a feeling I may fall in love with your blog. Have a LOVELY day.

Auntie Em

Gab* said...

Your cupcakes look perfect – and delicious!

Taryn said...

hello! just had to do a post with a link to your site as everyone needs to see these gorgeous cupcakes! thank you x

ZarpandiT said...

looks amazing! i love it :)

stephchows said...

Yours came out super red! I love the buttermilk swap out, I do the same thing but use lemon juice :)

Kellie Collis said...

THese are my absolute favourite. Such gorgeous pics too :) xx

Faith Hope and a whole lotta Love said...

Oh wow!! I have never tried them - but heard a lot about them!! yummi!!

mum space said...

I had one of these at our local markets a few weeks ago and it was lovely (yours looks so delicious). Thanks for sharing the recipe x

Peggy said...

red velvet is my fave and these look fantastic!!!

Kylie said...

Mmmmmm! Your pictures are just divine. My mouth is watering just looking at them (not to mention the cream cheese frosting)!!! I love cupcakes, but must admit I've never tried red velvet ones. I might give your recipe a go.

Mary said...

Would leaving out the coloring have any effect- other than liquid that would need to be replaced- on the cupcake? I've always shied off because of the amount of dye needed. They look great!

Rosita Vargas said...

Simplemente maravilloso Bravoooo,hugs,hugs.