> m.e: Berry and Almond Tart and a rainy day

Friday, September 25, 2009

Berry and Almond Tart and a rainy day

Hope you are having a great Friday, if you're in Melbourne, then it's a rainy Friday..
and I rainy days!
Yay for the weekend, yay for dads being home, yay for doing family things and yay for no market tomorrow.


I have had a few requests from people for a recipe with berries, so I thought I'd share a yummy rich tart recipe which you can use any seasonal berries you like or use frozen berries as I have.

Berry and Almond Tart

ingredients
  • 1 quantity sweet pastry
  • 150g unsalted butter, softened
  • 145g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 140g (1 1/3 cups) almond meal
  • 30 g (1/4 cup) plain flour
  • berries, however many you want to fill the tart
method
  • preheat oven to 190 C (375 F). roll out the pastry to line a 23cm tart tin. chill for 20 min
  • line pastry shell with baking paper and some rice or beans and blind bake the pastry for 10 min then remove paper and rice/beans and cook for a further 5 minutes or pastry is just cooked but still pale
  • in the meantime make almond filling, beat butter and sugar and vanilla together till pale and creamy, this will take about 5 minutes
  • beat in the eggs, one at a time and then fold in the almond meal and flour.
  • spread the almond filling into the pastry shell
  • top with berries of your choice, I used frozen blackberries this time. press the berries slightly into the almond filling with your hand
  • bake for about 30 minutes or until filling is golden and firm
when it's slightly cooled I just brush tart with an apricot glaze which is made by putting a couple of tablespoons of apricot jam and a couple of tablespoons of sugar and about 1/3 cup of hot water and simmer on medium to low until it reduces and thickens.

enjoy your weekend
Pin It

16 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Mmmm yum - my dinner is in the oven and that tart is making me hungrier!
Have a lovely weekend.

Liss said...

I've baked today but if I hadn't, I'd be making THAT!!! I'll store it away for another day xx

Little Eve said...

It looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe and the photos, which are so good. I'm always a bit lost without a pictorial guide. Thanks! Your children are so lucky!

Cat said...

I'm so making that next week Cathie - thanks! xo

Clair said...

As soon as our weather turns just that bit more chilly, I'll have my excuses to make this gorgeous bit of comfort food. Yum x

Nikki Cardigan said...

Yum yum yum Cathie. You are amazing.

And I second all your "Yays". I hope you have a great weekend. xxx

Baker's Cakes said...

That looks so delicious!!! Yes, looking forward to the weekend here too!

stephchows said...

oh this tart looks so amazing!! Beautiful! And bring on the weekend!!

ZarpandiT said...

I could not write long comments because iwas sick :(( fortunately I survived..

I followed the article but I can write new i'm sorry :(( (moreover I could not win gifts:DD)

this definitely a great tart :)) i love it!

Duchess of Tea said...

A delicious post darling. Today was a gorgeous day and I hope that it will stay sunny the entire weekend. I wish you a lovely and sunny weekend.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Duchess of Tea said...

Cathie darling you mentioned you love rainy days and here I am wishing you a sunny weekend. Luv, I hope the skies over m.e. turn out as you please.

Duchess

One Flew Over said...

hhmmmmm looks delicious Cathie!

SweetThingsTO said...

Thanks for sharing - enjoy your weekend too!

thereddeer said...

Looks delicious - bookmarking now!

Peabody said...

I love rainy days as well...which is why I live in Seattle! This tart makes a rainy day even better.

handmaiden said...

fabulous tart recipe I make something similar and its become my signature. I put a layer of ricotta on the bottom first.