> m.e: Chocolate Freckle Hearts

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Chocolate Freckle Hearts

It has been unbelievably cold and wet and the littlies have been getting a little crazy indoors...so what to do, tempt them with baking, cookie cutters, chocolate and lots of sprinkles*.

Very simple recipe and you probably have everything in your pantry.

Chocolate Freckle Hearts

recipe from here

ingredients

  • 125 g butter softened
  • 165 g brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 225 g plain flour
  • 35 g self raising flour
  • 35 g cocoa
  • 200 g dark chocolate
  • hundreds & thousands / sprinkles

method

  • Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric mixer until pale and creamy, a few minutes. add egg and mix to combine. Sift together both flours and the cocoa and stir into mix
  • Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Flatten and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 180 deg C, 356 deg F. Grease trays
  • Roll dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until 3-5mm thick. Cut shapes and place on trays.
  • Bake for about 10 minutes, do not overbake these as they will harden. Cool on wire racks.
  • When cool, melt chocolate using double boiler method, bowl ontop of saucepan with hot water . Spread tops of each cookie with chocolate and sprinkle with hundreds & thousands. Allow to set.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe, as I mentioned it's great for kids and especially great for school holidays!


*I just realised that I like using alot of sprinkles in things..hmmm, maybe it's because when I was little we never made anything with sprinkles, we used to make things like baklava and rice pudding and olive bread, all of which contain NO sprinkles :) (I'll just ponder that a litle longer)

Pin It

23 comments:

Clair said...

These look so cute. They'd make a lovely present for someone as well - roll on all that Christmas baking!

Tania said...

It's a hearty day in your house today! And we shall be following in your footsteps tomorrow if the weather makes like the weekend...

Leila said...

Yum! They look delicious!!

Yelena R. said...

Looks so cute! Definitely will try making them :)

kyliestevenms@optusnet.com.au said...

So tempting, they look delicious. I think my waist line grows just reading your mouthwatering blog!

Catherine said...

These look just beautiful Cathie and yummy!:)

thereddeer said...

Yummy - I made these a little while ago. They are darn good.

One Flew Over said...

My but just keeps on gettng bigger!

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

Cathi, I love your blog and there is an award that I would like to give you over on my blog. http://factwoman.blogspot.com/ Thanks for filling my life with wonderful recipes and Congratulations!

Leonie Guld said...

So......maybe I will cook these and then go to the gym....or.....go to the gym and then eat the whole lot.....hmmmm choices!! x

Nikki Cardigan said...

Another delicious recipe.... I can see some chocolate family cookies in my future!

And I am in shock... no sprinkles when you were little? They are the 6th food group!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Those are beautiful and sound delcicious!

ABowlOfMush said...

These are so pretty!! I'm bookmarking these for valentines day! ...or just any rainy day :)

Sandrine said...

The sprinkles makes the happy party feel, I had none too as I grew up...but my girls sure knows where to find them for me!Thanks for sharing they look so special;)xx

ZarpandiT said...

they look so cute! and sprinkles is very very very look wonderful! :)) (i got the sprinkle obsession)

Sandra @ {mum space} said...

Cathie, they look amazing. It's our sons birthday this weekend and I think they will definitely have to be on the party-food menu. I'll be trawling your site for a bake-off on Friday. Hope you have a lovely rest-of-your-week. Sandra x

Red Letter Studio said...

yummmmmmmmmmm!

Paris Pastry said...

Wow these look so delicious! I love that they have a ganache topping, yum!

Faith Hope and a whole lotta Love said...

Oh they look amazing!!

Cindy said...

Be still my beating heart THESE LOOK SO FREAKING GOOD!!

M* (Melanie) said...

Just popped over from Leonie's. These look divine Cathy. I'm going to make a batch this weekend with Ivy. She loves freckles!

Anna Bartlett said...

Thanks Cathy. I visited from M*'s blog who I went to from Pip's. Looking forward to making these very soon.

Kate said...

I'm about to make these to send to school for Jazzy's birthday in the morning. Yum. The girls are in bed, I guess that means I get to lick the bowl.