> m.e: Mandarin Marmalade

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mandarin Marmalade

My mum's mandarin tree has been fabulous this year and produced buckets full of mandarins.
The kids have eaten so many they seem to smell like a mandarin.

So what do you do when your mum turns up with a bag full of mandarins...well make jam of course!

Just made it up as I went along and it turned out great, I put less sugar than the equal part fruit to sugar ratio, but you can add as much as you want.


a few tips

  • you can peel the mandarins and take out the pips if you like
  • if you do take out the pips, wrap them in muslin to add back to the saucepan as pips contain pectin which helps set the jam
  • the pips will eventually rise to the top so you can spoon them out whilst the jam is cooking
  • the skins will give the jam a marmalade taste
  • to sterilise jars and lids, wash in hot soapy water and place on an oven tray, put in the oven on 120 C for about 30 minutes
  • pour jam into hot jars, holding the jar with an oven mitt or tea towel, close jar and turn upside down to create a seal

Mandarin Marmalade


ingredients
  • mandarins
  • sugar
  • lemon juice
method
  • wash mandarins and cut in half
  • put in a large heavy based saucepan and cover with water and simmer on low till mandarins are tender
  • take mandarins out and weigh them, then put them in a food processor and pulse a few times
  • put back in the saucepan of water and return to a low heat
  • add sugar, you can add equal amount as the fruit or slightly less to get more of a marmalade taste, add juice of one lemon
  • remove any pips that are floating whilst stirring occasionally
  • allow to simmer for another 25 minutes
  • test by placing a little bit of jam on a chilled saucer, pop it in the fridge for a minute, to check if it has thickened

and there you have jam for your toast in the morning!

Pin It

16 comments:

the Siu Jiat said...

home-made mandarin jam... sounds yummm... i'd very much love to have some of that with my morning toast!

Kellie Collis said...

Very clever! Delicious idea!

yardage girl said...

Delish-o-rama - I must try that one - thanks!

Clair said...

I can almost smell this....your photography is so evocative. Just beautiful. I'm sure you get told that a lot, but tis true :)

created by Kylie said...

Yum. We had a good crop of mandarins this year (not enough for jam though). Our season has ended, which is especially sad for me this year as Little Guy loved picking and devouring a “landalandalee” every time we went into the yard. It made me smile (sometime giggle) every single time I heard him say that. I know that next year he will learn to say it properly, just one season in my life of sweet landalandalee’s!

stephchows said...

beautiful jam!! I wish I had a tree like that in my yard... or a friends yard :) love them!

Madame Sucre said...

Cathie this is beautiful!! I dont have mandarins now.. would oranges be the same method? I love this ..I'm making it for tomorow's breakfast!

Rainbow Child said...

oh droooooooooool that sounds devine, i LOVE mandarins :)

La Pastry Chef said...

Love a recipe that only requires 3 ingredients! Sometimes Less is definitely more. Very pretty picture of all the mandarins in the pot!

Nat said...

Oh Cathie, This is fantastic ! If I get my hands on some fresh mandarins I will definitely try this out. I love your blog so much, its just JAM packed with brilliance and relevance. Thank You !

One Flew Over said...

That looks absolutley heavenly...now if only I had a mandarin tree!

Nikki Cardigan said...

Mandarin Marmalade.... really?
Cook the skins.... really?
Are you sure?
Of course you are because you do amazing things in the kitchen. This looks and sounds delicious Cathie.

Faith Hope and a whole lotta Love said...

Oh you make it look so easy! wish you were in my kitchen for brekkie! nothing like hot toast, butter & marmalade or jam :) yummmi!

ZarpandiT said...

i love mandarin! fresh and yummy :) i made mandarin and apple jam..absolutely delicious! :)

Anna Bartlett said...

You explain things so well I really want to try them myself (I recently googled 'easy jam' but it sounded anything but easy so I gave up and bought some at the school fair - as soon as that runs out it's all on here!) Thanks!

Kathleen W. said...

I wondered whether or not one cooks the peels in marmalade, to get that sour taste. Now I know.

Your photos are gorgeous! You are quite a talented photographer.