> m.e: Gingerbread

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gingerbread

Hope you had a great weekend and are anxiously awaiting Christmas...or maybe stressing that it's just around the corner and you have soooo much to do.

Luckily I have bought alot of gifts online in the last month so my Christmas to do list isn't that big, except for the baking that is.

Now I know I like to tempt you with alot of step by step pics of the recipes but due to time and baking late hours I will provide you with recipes and limited pics because I want to actually post some Christmas recipes before the new year.

So first one on the list is gingerbread. Enjoy!


Gingerbread
makes about 20

ingredients

  • 150g butter, chopped
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup golden syrup
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon mixed spice, sifted
  • 3 cups plain flour, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
Royal Icing
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 1/4 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Method
  • Place butter, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
  • In a bowl sift together flour, bicarb soda, ginger and mixed spice. Add golden syrup mixture and egg and mix to combine.
  • Divide dough in half. Flatten into discs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until firm.
  • Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease 3 baking trays.
  • Roll dough out until about 3mm thick. Using a 7cm gingerbread cutter, cut shapes from dough, re-rolling dough scraps. Place, 2cm apart, on prepared trays. Repeat with remaining dough.
  • Bake for about 8-10 minutes or slightly browned and firm to touch. Leave on trays for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Icing
  • Use a fork to beat egg white in a bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in icing sugar until combined and then stir in lemon juice. Spoon icing into a snap-lock bag and snip off one corner.
  • Decorate gingerbread men with icing, sprinkles, chocolate buttons, raisins..whatever you like.
A good recipe to get those little helpers in on, have fun

Pin It

17 comments:

Red Letter Studio said...

oh perfect thanks Cathie! planning to make giant gingerbread men on the weekend to give to my lovely workmates, now I just need to work out how much dough I will need to make the big ones!! trial and error I say and probably too much taste-testing on the way... :o)

~ Samone

Polka Dot Rabbit said...

ooh looks lovely, have you tried a vegan version of this?

One Flew Over said...

Just in time! Thanks Cathie xx

Leonie Guld said...

OK that ones printed off and in the folder!!! Perfect I say PERFECT!!

Georgie Love said...

Oh such deliciousness, I LOVE anything ginger, especially sweet things!

Are we all having Christmas at your house this year? Please?!!! :-)

xoxo

Selina said...

the recipe I used was almost exactly this one and it's fabulous! this year I substituted gluten free flour mix instead of the normal flour as one of the recipients is gluten intolerant and it still worked perfectly.

Can't wait to see your other Christmas baking recipes...I just love this time of year!!

Sage said...

Love your cookie cutter and your recipe sounds great.

Faith Hope and a whole lotta Love said...

Oh delish!!! great photo!! :)

Alicia (The Red Deer) said...

Thanks for the recipe :D - will give it a go at some stage!

Amanda said...

Yummm...I need to catch up on some baking too I also did most of my shopping online. Dreading the wrapping them up part though..

I might have to sneak in some time for these :)

trishiekoh said...

Thanks for the recipe, might give that a try someday.
PS: i did most of my xmas shopping online too this year, so convenient!

Sandrine said...

Oh I should have checked your recipe before doing ours!Thanks xx

craftevangelist said...

Thank you for this recipe! My daughter was just asking to make gingerbread boys yesterday. I hadn't got to looking around for a recipe yet, so we'll give these a try!

Duchess of Tea said...

Cathie darling so nice of you to think of us and lucky you for having so much done. I am off with my cousins on Thursday to start our my xmas shopping. I am not an online shopper, I need to touch, feel and may be even try things before I buy!! May be one day I will learn to shop online. Take care.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Meagan @ecoMILF said...

yum! I am going to try this, as my molasses gingerbread is good but has a very distinct flavour to it that not everyone appreciates. xx m.

Ash said...

how nice!! I've been making xmas cookies like a mad women!!

Rose said...

I love gingerbread! I havent made gingerbread biscuits yet this year, but i have make some gingerbread cupcakes yesterday which are delightful :)

Rose