Though I don't eat them now, I still enjoy making them and sharing them with others.
These are traditional almond cookies which are called "kourabiethes" and this is a recipe mum has used for many a years. They are normally a crescent shape but we went for a round shape this time.
Greek Almond Cookies
makes approx 25
- 250g softened butter
- 2 cups of pure icing sugar
- 1 egg
- vanilla extract
- 100g blanched, chopped almonds
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- rose water
- icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C
- Using a stand mixer, cream butter and icing sugar until its soft and fluffy
- Add egg and vanilla and mix
- Add chopped almond pieces and flour, ensuring the dough comes together
- Remove dough from bowl, ensuring it is not too soft and sticky. It needs to be workable but also not too stiff
- Form into a large ball
- Scoop out walnut sized pieces of dough and form into balls or crescent shapes.
- Place on a lined baking tray, allowing space between cookies
- Place into oven and cook for about 15-20 mins.
- When cookies are slightly golden remove from oven and spray with rose water
- Dust cookies with a generous amount of pure icing sugar
edited : featured here