> m.e: Greek Almond Cookies

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Greek Almond Cookies

Mum and I had a baking session together yesterday which we do every year and we made some cookies which have been in my life for as long as I can remember.
Though I don't eat them now, I still enjoy making them and sharing them with others.

These are traditional almond cookies which are called "kourabiethes" and this is a recipe mum has used for many a years. They are normally a crescent shape but we went for a round shape this time.


Greek Almond Cookies
makes approx 25

ingredients
  • 250g softened butter
  • 2 cups of pure icing sugar
  • 1 egg
  • vanilla extract
  • 100g blanched, chopped almonds
  • 2 1/2 cups plain flour
  • rose water
  • icing sugar to decorate

method

  • Preheat oven to 180 deg C
  • Using a stand mixer, cream butter and icing sugar until its soft and fluffy
  • Add egg and vanilla and mix
  • Add chopped almond pieces and flour, ensuring the dough comes together
  • Remove dough from bowl, ensuring it is not too soft and sticky. It needs to be workable but also not too stiff
  • Form into a large ball
  • Scoop out walnut sized pieces of dough and form into balls or crescent shapes.
  • Place on a lined baking tray, allowing space between cookies
  • Place into oven and cook for about 15-20 mins.
  • When cookies are slightly golden remove from oven and spray with rose water
  • Dust cookies with a generous amount of pure icing sugar
mmmm enjoy, I can smell the rosewater throughout the house as I type

edited : featured here
Pin It

23 comments:

Kate said...

Oh yeah, I can smell it from here when I look at your gorgeous photo. What a great tradition you and your Mum have. I'd love to bake with my Mum, I'm going to suggest it. How did your fabulous bunting go at the market? Much love to you beautiful girl. XX

Little Cooties said...

Yum! We also make them every Christmas, except it's a tradition that we share with our neighbours. it's a real cultural mix, with one greek, one chilean, one spaniard and one aussie. We add ouzo instead of rose water, and sit back after the cookies are baked to sip on it :)
yours look so beautiful, but then, you have the professional touch :)

Aussie-waffler said...

Mmm, they sound delicious. We have a traditional Hungarian dessert called Dios Kalacs (Walnut Roll) which my grandmother makes. I made it two years for Christmas, lots and lots of kneading *phew*. Perhaps next year I will be ready to whip up another batch. Thank-you for your lovely comment, I hope you can still manage to have a lovely Christmas whilst nursing that grief in your heart. xxxx

Little Eve said...

Scrummy looking! I've got a christmas pudding steaming away on the stove. A great time of the year to enjoy traditional goodies! Merry Christmas to you and your mum!

Catherine said...

That sounds like a wonderful tradition Cathie to bake with your Mum and to be making something as special as the recipe you have shared with us.:)

Tania said...

Yum. My friend's Mum passed away this year, and this is what she was famous for. Our gang of high school mates got together a week ago and that cookie eating ritual - and the lovely Cook - were sorely missed.

Hey Mrs. Have a WONDERFUL Christmas! x

Sage said...

Those cookies look so good.I have never used rosewater,but now I am intrigued.
Merry Christmas.
Rita

Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home said...

So festive! They look like they are covered with a light dusting of holiday snow!

A lot of cultures around the world have cookies similar to this one. I remember making something like this using walnuts instead of almonds (and minus the rosewater) with my mom when I was a child - we called them little Mexican Wedding Cakes!

I absolutely adore rosewater and will be trying these :)

Amanda said...

No no no...I have so much to bake I can't look at these any longer. They look SUPER YUMMY ;)

Must Resist!!!

One Flew Over said...

Ha! SNAP! I bake them every year too with my Nan x

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

I can't imagine anything more delicious than a home scented with rosewater - oh, except for those yummy little morsels!

Kamana said...

i make these morsels too. its fun making these with my kids.

Nikki said...

What a lovely way to spend time with your mother.

These are an absolute FAVE of mine (usually bought). Thanks for the recipe!

What's For Tea? said...

I can't wait to see my Yia Yia on Xmas day and get my parcel of these to take home! Soooo good!

Bec Lewis said...

Thanks for the gorgeous mince pie recipe, we tested them out for our family Christmas on Sunday. I hope you and your family had a wonderful day.

Mamatkamal said...

I have never used rose water in my cookies, I might try it one day. I love your Greek cookies, they look so delicious! Have a great day.

Natalie said...

These are beautiful Cathie. Thanks so much for sharing such a sweet recipe of significance. These look so delicious that it comes as no surprise I guess :)... Hope you and your family have a very special and meaningful Christmas...!

Alicia (The Red Deer) said...

mmm delish - I love greek sweets!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

abigail said...

those look delicious! I'm a little too full of sweets at the moment, but the minute I crave some I'm going to make some of these.

Anonymous said...

Eating one now !!! Care of Mum

mbxxxx

theUngourmet said...

I made some of these with pecans. I love the almonds in your recipe! Hope you had a lovely holiday!

Giovanna said...

these almond cookies look amazing.

katiecrackernuts said...

I actually crave these sweets. I have moments where I wake up and say, Greek Shortbread ... Stat.