> m.e: Chai Cupcakes

Monday, January 25, 2010

Chai Cupcakes

Even though I don't eat cupcakes I absolutely love Chai and wanted to combine my two favourites, Chai and baking cupcakes.
Was not sure if mr m.e would like them as he is a coffee drinker and I did try a while back to make them but he definitely was not impressed with that version.

Thankfully with these, most of them have already been devoured and the verdict was that they are like a moist spice tea cake.


Chai Cupcakes

makes 24

ingredients
  • 1/4 cup chai mix
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 3 eggs
  • 225g butter, softened
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
cinnamon sugar topping
  • 1/3 cup raw sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons warm water
  • cinnamon sugar
method
  • preheat oven to 160 C, place medium sized cupcake papers in pan
  • in a cup add chai mix and hot water and allow to stand for 15 minutes and strain
  • in another bowl, beat butter and sugar, then add eggs and beat until light and fluffy
  • sift flour and spices together and add to mixture, then add milk and beat until light and creamy for about 2 minutes
  • add chai and mix until combined
  • divide mixture into cupcake papers and bake for about 20 minutes until slightly golden and skewer comes out clean
  • allow to cool, then add topping which you make by mixing water with the raw sugar, and spread on cupcakes and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
Hope you try them, if you do please pop back and let me know what you thought.

Have a beautiful day, we will be baking a vegan cake for my nephew's birthday tomorrow.

Pin It

16 comments:

LuLu said...

Oh they look and sound delicious. Perfect with a hot cup of tea first thing in the morning. I can't wait to give them a try,
xo,
LuLu

All Things Considered said...

OH I love it!! I definitely would love to try this recipe

Vic said...

Oh YUM, YUM, YUM!!!

I have been on a chai kick lately (chai high?!), so these are right up my alley. A bit more effort than making a cup, but I *might* get around to it...

Thank you for the receipe & the inspiration!

Beky said...

I so have to make these. I love Chai, thanks for the goodies list.

koralee said...

They look amazing...we do like chai in our family so these could be a hit..I am so going to try them...happy week to you!

PaisleyJade said...

They look (and sound) so sweet and delicious! Well done - thanks for the recipe.

SE'LAH... said...

thanks for sharing this recipe...chai is my absolute fav.

one love.

Beach Vintage said...

Any cupcake is a good cupcake as far as I am concerned. Well done.

Posie Patchwork said...

Cathie, you're so clever. We have a lovely Chait girl here in Canberra, i'm not a tea drinker but she has explained (more than once) the spice process. I trust they are delicious. Love Posie

Cat J B said...

Cathie, what I would like is the avocado cupcake recipe, although these sound....and look... delicious too! Please? :)

Catherine said...

My neighbour recently introduced me to chai tea and it's a lovely tea, even my girls like it too. I'll have to give my neighbour the recipe, she would love it!

Sophie said...

Never try on chai before, I might just try it before It's goes to cup cake...^-^
Hugs,

Luisa @ Dance in my garden said...

That recipe looks great!
the absolutely BEST chai I have ever tasted came from -
http://joiedetea.blogspot.com/

She's also having a give-away at the moment, that your readers may be interested in.

SweetThingsTO said...

My brother-in-law would love these - I'm going to make these on his birthday! Thanks!

Veri-Tea said...

Oh, chai cupcakes! I must try these! Thanks for the recipe!!

Kali said...

be still my grumbling tummy! how delicious do these cupcakes sound and look! thanks so much for sharing Cathie xo